About this position
The Field Supervisor is responsible for the on-site project management responsible for the execution of the project scope, maintaining the project schedule and supporting budget management. This is prefaced with all the pre-mobilization planning of all crews, equipment and site visits. A key component is the supervision of work crews and third-party service providers to ensure that all safety, quality and efficiency goals are met. This includes liaising and consulting with Operations Managers and Project Managers to ensure that projects are on schedule and resourced with the appropriate personnel and equipment at the field level.
The Field Supervisor is also responsible for establishing and maintaining strong client relations at the site level which includes client communications, progress reporting and change order management. Optimizing the installation schedule is a significant aspect of this position, which is done by ensuring continuity from project to project while minimizing downtime. Additionally, ensuring that installation equipment is properly maintained and repaired is paramount to meeting installation schedules. The Junior Field Supervisor also works to maintain relationships with key stakeholders.
- Provides leadership to construction teams
- Acts as a mentor and provides support to all members of the installation team to ensure further growth and development of the company’s employees
- Champions the company’s safety and quality programs
- Provides feedback to the Construction Manager and/or Project Manager and client in order to collaboratively address performance issues while providing timely performance feedback to members of the installation team
- Conducts performance reviews
- Works with Scheduler, Project Manager and client to facilitate on-site scheduling
- Maintains contact with Project Manager and Shipping to schedule and receive deliveries of materials
- Provides daily reporting to the client and project management updating daily progress reports, supervisors’ workbooks, downtime reporting and expenditure documentation.
- Ensures that contract employees (including welders, surveyors, painters, etc.) are supervised and accountable for their functions on install projects
- Assists in ensuring travel and accommodation arrangements for install crews are properly booked and billed to the company
- Advises the sales team on project installation cost estimates as a part of the estimating process
- Works with the Scheduler to advise the Sales department on gaps in the installation schedule so that these gaps can be filled with projects
- Effectively manages all available resources to minimize downtime
- Actively works to mitigate company costs, including travel costs, overtime, equipment downtime, maintenance, housekeeping, safety, quality, etc.
- Supervises and manages all third-party service activity coordinating work activity with project requirements.
- Solicits ideas from install crew members with regard to cost saving measures, equipment improvements and sales opportunities
- Evaluates each installation project from start to finish with a view to minimizing variable costs attributable to the project and/or learning from experience to reduce costs in future
- Proactively looks for creative and innovative methods to make installation projects flow more smoothly
- Ensures installation crew members are mentally and physically fit for duty
- Works with administrative personnel to ensure required training courses are up-to-date for all crew members
- Ensures adherence to the highest quality materials, equipment and installation standards
- Proactively liaises with new and existing clients to secure any additional present and/or future work
- Assists with the formulation of department strategic plans
- Encourages good housekeeping habits to prevent injuries and property damage
Education / Experience
The following are required:
- 3-5 years of experience in an operations environment within the construction industry (preferably installation)
- 3+ years prior supervisory experience, preferably within the construction industry
- Knowledge of the helical pile industry, including products and installation equipment
- Knowledge of industry-related tools (down-hole hammers, drill rods, bits etc)
- Performance and communication training or experience
- Basic mechanical experience
The following are assets:
- Team building and leadership training or experience