About this position
Reporting to the Production Manager, this manufacturing role is responsible for providing work instruction and direction related to the manufacturing of helical piles. It requires the ability to understand customer requirements of each project and ensure they are communicated to workers responsible for construction. This role requires the use of a loader in a safe manner and a knowledge of staging material for production planning. Supervisors will need to understand complicated prints and welding specifications in conjunction with Lead Hand and Weld Inspectors. The role requires safe work practices, ownership thinking and collaboration with coworkers and the broader team.
Location: Guelph, ON
Shift Hours: Day shift from 6:50am-3:20pm Monday to Friday or night shift 3:20pm-1:50am Monday to Thursday.
- Works closely with the Production Manager, Welders, Laborers, Operators, Safety Coordinator, QA Coordinator and Lead Coordinator.
- Performs basic welding of milled steel for production purposes.
- Fits up and welds various geometries of components.
- Collaborates with coworkers (labourers and operators) to perform safe and efficient set up (including adjustments) of work station, tools, equipment and raw materials.
- Understands various weld form symbols on blue prints and understand size of fillet forms.
- Reads and interpret work orders, drawings and specifications and directs Welders and Labourers in the realization of these specifications.
- Oversees that the required procedural markings are correct according to the product (i.e. welder identification or traceability labelling).
- Understands welding process.
- Good understanding of overall work place and order efficiency in terms of set up and staging of materials.
- Meets agreed upon goals and objectives in a timely manner in accordance to established schedule.
- Reads real time production data and meets productivity targets. Arrives to work, meetings, appointments, and other work-related functions on time and as scheduled.
- Interacts with organizational team members and other departments in a professional manner.
- Takes accountability for manufacturing workmanship, adherence to quality standards and addresses deficiencies immediately with corrective action and notification of Manager.
- Ensures weld procedures are followed and improves procedures within scope of responsibility.
- Respects and Adheres to inspection criteria.
- Leverages feedback from colleagues, supervisors and inspectors to maximize welding effectiveness and overall shop performance.
- Maintains a working knowledge of the latest welding industry advancements that could be leveraged by Almita.
- Maintains manufacturing facility in a clean and orderly manner.
- Assists work process where needed (dependent on work volume).
- Provides input for formulating departmental strategic plan.
- Serves as a member of various employee and organizational committees.
- Performs other duties as assigned.
- Observes safe behavior and reports and corrects unsafe conditions.
- Conducts required pre-job/pre-task inspections.
- Is familiar and complies with all Almita policies and procedures.
- Is a champion for Almita’s Vision.
- Ensures job specific and safety training is up to date and current as per training policies for all manufacturing employees.
- Works with Employees and Managers to reduce waste and reduce costs within the manufacturing process.
- Proactively seeks out creative and innovative ways to increase production.
- Thinks like an owner and is directly involved in seeking out and executing rapid improvement projects.
- Knows about the customer and understands how welding directly impacts the customer.
Education / Experience
The following are required:
- Must have the Canadian Welding Bureau (CWB) – Level 1 Weld Inspector certification or be willing to complete this course within three months of hire.
- 3+ years experience in a fabrication, production, or industrial setting
- 2+ years in a supervisory role in a shop setting.
- Is willing to transfer to opposite shift when needed (night shift 3:20pm-1:50am Monday to Thursday)
- Strong leadership skills and the ability to make decisions under pressure Demonstrated effective verbal, written, and communication skills
- Possesses strong organizational, time management, and product management skills in handling multiple job priorities, performing a variety of tasks and meeting required deadlines.
- High School Diploma
- Able to operating angle grinders, manual vertical band saw, pedistal grinder, and various clamps and fixtures when needed
- Lifting up to 50lbs regularly and 75lbs occasionally, pushing, pulling, standing for long periods of time, manual dexterity, visual acuity, and typing.
- Basic understanding and applying I.S.O. and Quality Assurance standards.
- Understanding of Hazard Assessment Analysis.
- Understanding of components in production.
- Understands safe work practices, quality assurance and Lean Manufacturing principles.
- Utilizing Mig welding machines.
- Welding milled steel.
- Manufacturing environment
- Exposure to loud noises
- Exposure to extreme temperatures
- Physical elements include bending, twisting, crouching, kneeling, standing for long periods of time, lifting weights up to 50 pounds frequently and in excess of 50 pounds occasionally
- Fast paced with tight deadlines
- Shift work
- Overtime may be required to meet operational needs.
- Work schedule may vary
- Personal Protective Equipment (PPE) must be worn at all times
Almita Piling Inc. seeks qualified candidates who share our commitment to equity and inclusion, who will contribute to the diversification of ideas and perspectives, and encourages applications from indigenous (First Nations, Métis or Inuit) peoples, members of racialized communities, women, persons who identify as 2SLGBTQ+, and persons with disabilities. Accommodations are available, on request, for candidates taking part in all aspects of the selection process including but not limited to a person with a disability.